Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Hotter Than Ever



It's been exceptionally hot and humid here in Surabaya. The sky is turning greyer and greyer everyday and finally, yesterday, it rained a little. But other than that 60 minutes bliss when the air was slightly cooler, it's been super hot and humid. I feel like I can't properly breath.

Other than the less interesting weather forecast here in Surabaya, it's 7 days before UWRF 2017! Super duper excited. I check my calendar every morning to count down till the departure day. Only 7 hot and humid day left in Surabaya and I'll be off to a much friendlier weather, finger crossed.

The hot weather really annoys me to the point where I don't feel like going anywhere but lying by the pond on weekend, eating watermelon(s) and sipping ice coffee. And I'm also so sick of my phone and instagram and email so I purposely let my phone died during the day. I read instead.

This book I read is a New York Times best seller, like years ago, and I have to say that it's bloody good. Like 9/10 good. And I just read it now. Where have I been? Geez. It's Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan and I think I'll get the 2nd book later this weekend. The story is about a young billionaire who falls in love with an Economic professor. His family doesn't approve of the girl because of some cultural obstacles, something like legacy, blood lines and Ming Dynasty, oh and also, money. What makes it interesting, in my opinion, is the multi perspectives Kevin serve in every chapter. Here we have an Asian boy who basically spend most of his adulthood in America, living in American way and eating American cheese bagel. On the other hands, we have a bunch of Asian billionaire who has 3 things in their minds: investment, designer pieces and beneficial marriage. And trapped in between all of that is a Guangdong immigrant who is raised by a single mom, independently making a living in New york and madly fall in love with the Asian boy, mad enough to go to a summer vacay half the world away to meet the boy's family which the boy rarely talk about and she never even have a phone conversation before. That's wild. If there's anything I learn from the book, it will be to run a background check on my potential life partner, just in case. A girl needs to be prepared for the worst.


No comments:

Post a Comment