Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Day to Remember



Last month, my parents celebrated their 26th wedding anniversary. 26 years of togetherness, 26 years of ups and downs and in between, 26 years of endless problems with the kids. Haha.

They asked us, the 3 problematic kids, out for dinner. I was hesitating at first. 26 should be a milestone for them and going for a typical Surabaya dining out was just, ordinary. So I proposed we went out of town instead, maybe to Malang or somewhere that could be reached within 3 hours drive. I immediately remembered that mom had never been to Bromo, never witness the magical night sky and beautiful sunrise with active volcano as a backdrop. I told them my plan and with a lil help from my bro and sis, we decided to go to Bromo for their wedding anniversary. I only had less than 24 hours to prepare the trip and also a little surprise for them buttt we made it to Bromo save and sound!



Bromo was packed with tourist that morning. We arrived a little late cause Penanjakan was already jammed with foreigner and local tourist. The sky was so so beautiful that morning. It's crystal clear, displaying the milky way and million of stars glowing just like a diamond *cue Rihanna's song*. Later my brother told me that he saw a shooting stars right before dawn came. Luckyyyyy bratttttt I missed that one :(

I've been to Bromo several times and usually in summer so I only wore my thin sweater and jeans because that would be enough. Little did I know Bromo in September is super cold and windy, like straight to the bone cold. I was obviously undressed thus I clinged to my brother and sister, but it didn't help much. I should have worn my thicker socks and sweater, I kept thinking that way since I felt like frozen up there. Even after the sun was up, the wind was still soooo cold.








Beside the chilly wind, the trip was fantastic. We had a good time playing in the sea of sand and taking gazillion pics together. I'm so happy that my parents enjoyed the trip as much as my sister, my brother and I did. We had breakfast at the jeep, the one that my sister prepared from home, sweet fried noodle with scrambled egg and beef sausages. I brought a thermos of Balinese coffee too so it was perffff breakfast at a beautiful place. Super happy!

My Bromo Itinerary:
11 p.m : departing from Surabaya
2 a.m : arriving at one of the check point, renting a jeep and a tour guide
3 a.m : driving up to Penanjakan, a terrace to watch the sunset and the crater of Bromo. There are several of Penanjakan and I've been to 3 of them. I will highly recommend Penanjakan 2 cause it has the best view of the crater and you can see the milky way clearer there.
3.30 a.m - 6.30 a.m : the sun usually rises from 5 a.m to 5.30 a.m, but as I mentioned before, Penanjakan is already packed around 4 a.m so the earlier you arrive, a better spot you get to watch the sun. I notice some people is already in Penanjakan since 2 a.m to watch the starry sky and the milky way and if you're lucky like my brother, you can spot the shooting star. I personally love to arrive at 3 a.m, brave the cold, and stay at Penanjakan up till 7 a.m because it will be less crowded and you can freely enjoy the view.
7 a.m - 10.30 a.m : we continued the journey around Pasir Berbisik area, checking out the sand dunes and the temple by the crater. You can try horse ride or climb up to the edge of the crater there. I wonder if we can rent ATV there cause it will be so much fun hehe. Most people drive around and stop at some points to take pics. There are also several small stalls there serving hot coffee, tea and snacks so if you don't prepare a meal, you can surely try the stalls.
10.30 a.m - 11 a.m : going back to the first check point, where we parked the car then driving back to Surabaya

That is that. I hope my experience help you if you have a plan to go to Bromo. One thing for sure is, even thou I've been there several times, the place is still so magical. The next time I plan to go there again, I think I will go when the little purple flower blooms at Pasir Berbisik. I see some of the pics and it looks so beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment