Sunday, January 29, 2017

Talking to Strangers




Lately, I've been using online taxi to go everywhere. I get to the point where I downloaded all taxi online apps available at Apps Store: Uber, Grab, Gojek. I join their mailing list to keep updated about their latest promo, to save more money hehe. It's been satisfying since I can travel leisurely on the back seat, not worrying about the traffic or where to park my car. I can even doze for 10 mins before arriving at my next destination. All is good.

January has been my peak season. So much to do, so little time. I find myself spending most of my time on the road, at the comfort of a stranger's backseat, rushing to my next schedule. Riding on a taxi used to be terrifying for me. I remember back then when I had to travel using taxi, I texted my parents about the identity of the driver, the car's plate and the serial number of the taxi. I used to be paranoid, and silly. Haha. I guess this job has pushed me to accomplished new challenges everyday, demands me to grow outside the garden. Which is good, I supposed.

I don't know what's got into me. I have this new habit to start a small chit chat with the driver. I think, it was starting out as an ice breaker, common talk about the traffic and the weather. But then it grows into something I like to do. First it's the weather, the next thing I know I'm in a deep conversation about building a family. It's funny. That kind of topic is rare to come out from my mouth, even during a convo with my mother. I feel a liberating feeling to talk about almost anything to the stranger in front of me. Probably, because they don't know me personally, so I don't need to worry about they judge me or my life choices. All they know is a passenger who almost late to her next meeting, a hard worker, and inexperience in romance. All the necessary information they need to know about me, no more no less. Nothing too personal, but still a friendly gesture for two strangers stuck in the same room.

At the end of my trip, I always replaying my convo with those people. Some of them inspire me greatly. Some of them make me learn more about life. Some of them are to polite to disagree with me. Whatever it is, I'm happy. Meeting a lot of people has been my goal, even thou I'm naturally shy when I meet someone for the first time. This is a good start. It's simple and easy. I should have no problem practising it more till I build more confidence to talk before a lot of people, stating my opinions. Another perk is, it's relaxing. It's somehow lessen my burden if I share my thoughts with someone, even thou it's an Uber driver. After all, we all need someone to listen, not necessarily to solve our problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment