Sunday, June 11, 2017

Bucket List: ArtJog



Yes, I'm here at Jogjakarta for ArtJog this year. YAY! I remember 3 months ago planning this trip but I was half believing it would really happen, alhamdulillah.

This is my first time attending an art exhibition so I'm super excited. I have to say ArtJog this year is so so so amazing, event though I never been here before hahaha. I experienced a lot of new things in one place, for less than 6 hours and it cost me only IDR 50K. I'm glad that I bought the ticket to Jogja immediately after I got back from Ubud.

Turns out, contemporer art is not that hard to enjoy. In fact, I love that it gives me new perspectives and a new way of seeing things. ArtJog has several light installation that stole my eyes cause it's simply beautiful and also super instagenic. I also love an art that showcase night sky using batik fabric as the sky. It has UFO, poets, spaceship, stars and all the sky creatures drawn on the fabric. On the contrast, the walls are painted with images of the nation struggles; poverty, cheated leaders, destruction and sorrow. The painting is in monochrome, which adds more dramatic vibes. Oh my oh my, I spent like 20 minutes day dreaming inside that installation. The painting gives you painful and sad feelings but then you look up to find the lively night sky, home for dreams and hopes. I guess that's why it has poets written on it and UFO and spaceship. It's all for the dreamers to escape from their daily routine. And in between all of those emotions, I find beauty that moves my heart. That one is definitely one of my favorite.

Another one of my favorite is an installation called The Seen and The Unseen. I didn't catch the name of the artist and I couldn't find it on the booklet they gave us. The installation comes in 2 different mediums. The first medium is a movie that tells a story about kids who secretly enjoy the dark of the night. They sneak out of their blanket to go out and watch the moon bloom. Then they'll dance out of happiness cause they find peace and courage under the bright silver light. The second medium is the set up of the moon at the movie. They built the same setting as we see in the movie playing right next to it, so we can enter the set and experience what the kids see, how the kids feel. They even painted the night sky and brought actual crops to the set. Truly an interesting way to enjoy art. As a newbie I'm super impressed and amazed.

I didn't get most of the art works showcased there. When I looked at the visitors who seemed to be all deep and serious observing an installation, I got curious of what they found out there. But then I spent like 5 minutes staring at it and I didn't feel anything haha. I guess, art is really personal matter, eh?

Again, I really am happy to experience various waves of emotions. I listened to a painting, I watched the light playing with shadow, I walked inside an art, I smelt fear through a movie. I felt like I was thrown in wonderland with a lot of doors that lead to so many places and I was allowed to enter every single door. 

This year has been amazing so far. I can finally checked Artjog out of my bucket list, along with UFF too. Ooh what did I do to deserve these blessings? :D



















No comments:

Post a Comment